Skip to main content

While the Guadalupe fiddles, a Chicano theatre dies

Cara Mia Theatre in Dallas was founded over ten years ago to bring Chicana/o theatre to la raza, and to train a whole new generation of artistas. Adelina Anthony, a highly-regarded actress from San Antonio who looks like a movie star with the conciencia of Cherrie Moraga, founded it with much sacrificio. The City of Dallas has never rewarded them for their community work and grassroot audiences. What has happened to us?


Its funny that in 11 years here with Cara Mia and me about to resign my
positions and long journey with Cara Mia it is not because we are in debt.
But because we can't get enough funds to pay a director and staff what is due.
And the moneys are in the bank as I speak loca, but I have given too much to this
beautiful child that every one loves but few understand. I have cried rivers like a
baby knowing this will become history for me, but I have to go on with my life.
Just maybe I will return if things go well with me, and maybe not Cara Mia but
the same Mission with another name and strategy. It is the Mission that is the heart of any organization and Cara Mia has served well to the community. The educational programs continue as I speak thanks to Frida Mueller now wife of previous Artistic Director David Lozano. This Chilanga from the D.F. without any English some how has the heart to continue our educational programs...

(Eliberto Gonzalez, the managing director, was my husband in my former life.) He's a great guy, and is a roofing contractor when he's not at Cara Mia.

Comments

Annie M. said…
I hope this is not a "true story." Cara Mia closing would leave a huge void in the heart of Dallas. It would rip out a chunk of our soul, our vida.
As part of the loyal audience, Cara Mia has provoked us to tears and carcajadas. It's let our children learn what is Teatro Chicano. Somebody say it isn't true, por favor.
PANZA DVD said…
Cara Mia is the first professional theatre company to ever hire me as an artist. I performed the Panza Monologues at The Mexican American Cultural Center in Dallas. As a teatrista, I grow increasingly concerned about the future of Chicano theatre - where are the sites for artistic growth & development? All too often our centers fail us or are rapidly dissapearring. We have a responsibility to create a theatre that is both urgent in its message and well crafted. With renewed commitment, vgrise

Popular posts from this blog

Huipiles at the Museo Alameda: There is nothing to celebrate

So some young latinas asked me yesterday about the "Huipiles" at the Museo Alameda. They were confused about the Exhibit. The photo below is by a commercial artist, Liz Garza Williams, one of the artists in the Huipiles Exhibit, and this is her photo of the featured artist, Kathy Sosa, wife of Republican party advertising-mogul Lionel Sosa, who is also in the show. You know what this visual says to young latinas, who comprise the majority population in this region? This photo, indicative of the quality and imagery in this Huipiles exhibit, says "See how I own your past? Do you see how beautiful I am wearing what you don't even know about? You can't even afford your own history, because only a rich woman like me is good enough and beautiful enough to wear it." Now the Museo Alameda has asked latina scholars to contribute to "panels," to discuss "huipiles." There is a documentary that accompanies the show where some huipil-dres...
Today is Tuesday, May 3rd, and so much has happened.  A brain tumor.  More yoga and walking.  A little less combat.  Weight dropping.  Spirit rising.  Back in the city, where I belong.  Looking for good photos to give you, organizing my crazy files.  And a new President!  So much to say, more than beating up on him -- that will only take us so far.  Time to hit the streets, challenge the fears that he represents.  Don't be afraid, no tengan miedo.  If I survived a massive brain tumor -- big as a grapefruit -- we can survive and transcend this. More tomorrow.  One day a week from now on. 

Can I get a VIA Bus after my cerveza?

Okay, so today I met with Juan Lopez, who, like me, rides the VIA bus. If you live in the city, the bus is pretty good if you're going north/south.  It's the crosstown buses and the 551 Looper that drives me crazy.  I wish they were more colorful, like in Mexico, and that the drivers were allowed to play their music!  This Calvinist heritage!  But I love the bus.  Babies, tattoos, the elderly, ride the bus. Humanity.   For reals. Today, Juan said something really profound. "If the city is so concerned about DWIs (Los borrachos, he means), then why doesn't VIA offer 24-hour service during Fiesta?" Are you listening, VIA? I know you offer special service for the basketball games, the Rodeo, And God knows what else... Or is the City wanting the fines from the DWIs or maybe just wants to put more borrachos in jail? http://www.viasmartmove.com