"Remember El Alma" First On-site Performance Challenging the Alamo, March 2010

"Remember El Alma," First on-site performance
challenging the Alamo
original poem written by Barbara Renaud Gonzalez

Adapted by Virginia Grise; Produced by Bihl Haus Arts, Kellen McIntyre, Ph.D; Performed at Luminaria!
San Antonio, Hemisfair Plaza, San Antonio, Texas, March 13, 2010; 5 Actresses, 1 Musician
A cast of beautiful women, all ages and colors, from
all over San Antonio
; Foto Credit: Joan Frederick @2010

Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Guadalupe: Los Paintbrushes


From one of the founders of the Guadalupe: 

I remember when we first moved into the Guadalupe...it was being
used as
a flea market.....on the southside (Guadalupe Street)
there was a door
and a long room all painted red...it was used
as an arcade........
One guy from the neighborhood came to see me...
said he was a commercial
painter.......said he had no money for
diapers for his child.........
from his back pocket he pulled out
some house paint brushes (4 inch)
and said look hold on to these....
give me $15 and I'll come buy them back
......I looked at the brushes
and I looked at him....the brushes were used

but they were well taken cared of......at the time there was some
graffitti
on the walls...not awhole bunch...and I told
him.......I got a gallon of paint......go cover that graffiti and
I'll give you
fifty.......

Another time a guitar player came and we went throught the same
thing.......at this time we were already in the Progresso
building
also....so it had to be the second year......and I told him ...
"Go down there and
play guitar in front of the theatre for and hour
and I'll give you fifty dollars.......

Credits: Virgen of Guadalupe
nmazca.com/guadalupana/Virgin_of_Guadalupe.jpg

No comments: