Skip to main content

How I found and lost Fluffie in San Antonio

This is Fluffie, a dog from the Westside that I've been trying to catch for a year.  He's a mustang-poodle.  I've tried dog traps from the Animal Defense League, dozens of weinies, and almost illegal drugs.  Nothing worked.  He's a sweet dog, but afraid of people.  Two days ago he finally got trapped in a yard on Colorado Street, and Mike, a man who was my lookout called me and I went right over the next morning.  He was already on Death Row, curled up in a corner.  I paid to get him fixed, his shots, microchipped, the works.  I went yesterday to get him, ready with weinies, a training leash, a collar and leash.  He's a Maltese Poodle, apparently, but who knew?  Weighs about 15 pounds, so the dreadlocks weighed more than him. I told the woman in the Clinic to please make the collar tight so that he wouldn't get away, told her he was a wild one.  She told me that no way could he get away from the collar, though it wasn't as snug as I would have liked, but these are the people who work with dogs, and maybe they know something?  I walked out slowly with the Fluffie and he dragged, then walked some, let me pet him a little, let me carry him a little before he made signs he wanted to bite me, got back on the ground, then dragged and started wrestling with the leash.  A guy came out to help me, and we walked to the car where I opened the back, and by this time because Fluffie was wiggling like the little maniac he is, slipped out of the collar that was supposed to be "tight" and got away.  Went under the van, and the guy called for help from ACS but no one came.  Then Fluffie was about to take off to the freeway, but the guy did some kind of football defense-move, and cut him off.  Fluffie ran off to the dried grass between the ACS and the Food Bank.  Finally the ACS truck came and they told me they would find him for sure and call me.  Of course they haven't.  The really sad thing in all this is that they are blaming me.  They get paid to save dogs, and some of us just do it because who could resist el Fluffie?  If they only knew how hard I tried.  Now he's buck-naked  and furless out there, I hope someone can trap him and save him.  He's a good little dog, with some weinies and patience, he can make it.  He's two years old according to my ACS papers.  They say he could've been abused in the past, and that's why he's so skittish around people.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary Alice, wife of Henry Cisneros, finds her voice in San Antonio as women battle for Free Speech in the Streets

She's a delicate bird of a woman, petite and beautifully apparelled. I know her husband, and she looks up to her supremely intelligent, charismatic, but scared of the status-quo husband. I suspect that she became a San Antonio councilwoman as a result of his lanky shadow. No matter. Yesterday, la Mary Alice stood up to the Man along with Councilwoman Lourdes Galvan and voted on the side of the Constitution and women's rights as one of two women on the San Antonio City Council who recognizes that anti-war or anti-immigrant protestors should be able to march on the streets without having to pay thousands of dollars for the privilege. While the city-wide Fiesta! bacchanal takes over the streets for weeks. With a vote of 9-2, the San Antonio City Council overwhelmingly voted to pass a new "Parade" Ordinance yesterday despite the organized protest of free speech advocates - mostly women - who believe that the City Council is violating the First Amendment of its citiz

A battered woman from San Antonio loses her reporting job

Gina Galaviz , 43, KSAT-TV's I-love-the-police reporter, "has been fired" from the television station , according to the San Antonio Express-News, and I'm quoting verbatim here from Jeanne Jakle's byline, "after she was charged with assault following a fight with her boyfriend," Ronald Aguillen, 46. Ok, so we in San Antonio know about the time in 2004 when Gina filed charges against another boyfriend, the former SWAT cop, who was a councilman at-the-time, Ron Segovia . There were allegations of an apple being thrown at her nalgas, which humiliated her, and that he also pointed a gun at her. It was not the first time, she told me. Tough-guy Segovia got off - I think he had three attorneys representing him if I remember correctly, and in this city, like too many, the cops are in bed with the grand jury - they need and depend on each other, and this grand jury decided there "wasn't enough evidence to pursue a criminal case against him." Seg

Jerry Pittman: The Worst Cop, but there's more in San Antonio

Part II of the Pittman Story ( click here for Part I of the story of San Antonio's badddddest cop) But let’s go back to the beginning of Pittman’s triumphant arc as a black role model, endorsed by white leaders and officially commended by the state’s black legislators. If you were a black nobody cop in the seventies, well, what would it take for you to get promoted? You’d have to be Superman, wouldn’t you? And in a city that sells itself on a myth of cultural fusion, then who would you arrest if you wanted a chance at getting promoted? Hmmmmm? His name was Big House. Real name, Willis Sterling, and he was one of those benevolent drug-dealer types, who’d get arrested, make bond, then go home to the Eastside in the 1980s. A non-violent man. “He was like a modern-day Robin Hood,” says T.C. Calvert, a well-known community activist who doesn’t do drugs himself, only hamburgers. He was so well-liked, say my elder sources, that all sorts of politicians liked hanging out a