Skip to main content

Why I'm going to the Immigrant March on Monday, April 10

My mother crossed the border, sin papeles. I'm writing a novela about why she came to el norte and her journey here and my journey back.

My story is a common one. On one side: a father whose family has been here since before the Texas Revolution - in other words, I'm qualified to be one of those "Daughters of the Alamo." But who wants that? On the other side: a Mexican family left behind, a rancho, ancestors, religion, memorias.

We latinos are the memory made flesh that this country wants to forget. The tragic past and the inevitable future at the same time. The leaders of this country are afraid of both. I'm marching on Monday because it's what my mother, Marina Hernandez Renaud, now passed, would have done. She's the one who taught me Spanish, told me stories about her Mexico every single day, and most of all, showed me, from the way she cooked her beans to the way she shared her food to the braceros working in the fields where my father was a foreman - what it means to be mexicana.

Despite all the overt, subtle, and sophisticated discrimination I've experienced in my life, my mother, all five feet of her, would stand up straight and tall while she was making tortillas, listening to Selena or her favorite conjunto, while I told her stories about my own struggles, and she would say:

They are afraid of us. Are you?


MARCH for
IMMIGRANT RIGHTS

monday april 10 2006
5:oo pm Start at Milam Park
(in front of Santa Rosa Hospital @ Santa Rosa St & Commerce)
March to Federal Building
(E. Durango street) where we continue with a rally

Stop H.R. 4437, a dangerous bill that criminalizes immigrants.
For information: esperanza peace & justice center: 210.228.0201 ·
fuerza unida: 210.927.2294 · www.myspace.com/sanantomexa

Supported by:
ACLU · ACORN · AFSCME ·
Benedictine Sisters · Council
on American-Islamic
Relations (CAIR) · Catholic
Charities · Centro Cultural
Aztlán · César Chávez
March for Justice · Club de
Estados de Mexico · Comité
en Solidaridad con el Pueblo
de México · Coordinadores
96/2000 · Esperanza Peace
and Justice Center · Food
Not Bombs · Fuerza Unida ·
G.I. Forum · Green Party ·
Inner City Advocates · IUE ·
LCLAA · LULAC · MALDEF ·
Mestizos en Marcha ·
MEXA San Anto · Mexican
American Cultural Center ·
Missionary Catechists of
Divine Providence
Congregation · Mujeres
Activas en Letras y Cambio
Social (MALCS) · NAACP,
San Antonio · NAPE ·
National Council of La Raza
· Neighborhoods First
Alliance · NLAC · Pax Christi
· P.I.T.C.H. I.N. (Fox Tech
H.S.) · p e a c e C E N T E R
· Progressive Students
Organization · RAICES · San
Anto Cultural Arts ·
Santuario Sisterfarm · SEIU ·
Siempre United · Soulforce
San Antonio · Southwest
Voter Registration &
Education Project ·
Stonewall Democrats ·
Southwest Workers' Union ·
Texas Fair Trade Coalition ·
Texas Media Empowerment
Project · United Students
Against Sweatshops · United
Students for Fair Trade ·
University Leadership
Initiative · William C.
Velásquez Institute · The
World Can't Wait - Drive out
The Bush Regime!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloody Towels & Jerry Joe Pittman, Asst. Police Chief of San Antonio

Assistant Chief Jerry Pittman has called the San Antonio Observer, San Antonio's leading Black newspaper, to say that he's human, that he's made a mistake. But I suspect he's thinking twice about retiring, because he needs another year to get his full pension.


He’s scary.When I first saw Asst. Chief Jerry Pittman en persona, San Antonio’s highest-ranking black cop, and certainly most-controversial, my gut talked to me.I was at Pittman’s press conference downtown, orchestrated by the most expensive public relations firm in town, Connolly & Company, on March 11, 05, where he announced his exoneration from rape allegations brought by his step-niece, a 39 year-old working-class, black, woman. Chief Pittman, a 6’5” blue-black brother, with bullets instead of eyes, would’ve shot me if he could that day because of my questions, while the rest of the media kissed his grits.Look, I’m a middle-aged woman who trusts her intuition about men, and I know what I feel.But - I’m a…

A battered woman from San Antonio loses her reporting job

Gina Galaviz, 43, KSAT-TV's I-love-the-police reporter, "has been fired" from the television station , according to the San Antonio Express-News, and I'm quoting verbatim here from Jeanne Jakle's byline, "after she was charged with assault following a fight with her boyfriend," Ronald Aguillen, 46.

Ok, so we in San Antonio know about the time in 2004 when Gina filed charges against another boyfriend, the former SWAT cop, who was a councilman at-the-time, Ron Segovia .
There were allegations of an apple being thrown at her nalgas, which humiliated her, and that he also pointed a gun at her. It was not the first time, she told me.

Tough-guy Segovia got off - I think he had three attorneys representing him if I remember correctly, and in this city, like too many, the cops are in bed with the grand jury - they need and depend on each other, and this grand jury decided there "wasn't enough evidence to pursue a criminal case against him."

Segovia wa…

When a Tejano star is a rapist

Que bueno que Tejano star Joe Lopez, 56, the former lead singer of Grupo Mazz, and now lead singer of the band Joe Lopez y La Nueva Imagen Mazz, got convicted and sentenced to twenty years for raping his then-13 year-old niece.

I know there are men out there - and some women - who will say that this young girl deserved it, that she must have seduced him, that she wanted money, that she's pura slut, etc. etc. etc.

Bullshit. No woman deserves getting raped, I know so many who have. One of four women is raped - at some time in our lives.

We get raped by our fathers, brothers, cousins. On a first date in high school, or college. Or by a complete stranger walking home from work or school.

And yes, it almost happened to me in college. I fought my date off, a guy I'd been seeing for about a month and trusted.

Understand something. A woman's desire is healthy and vital. It is not an invitation to be raped, to be touched in any way without her permission. There are women who…