Skip to main content

Why I'm going to the Immigrant March on Monday, April 10

My mother crossed the border, sin papeles. I'm writing a novela about why she came to el norte and her journey here and my journey back.

My story is a common one. On one side: a father whose family has been here since before the Texas Revolution - in other words, I'm qualified to be one of those "Daughters of the Alamo." But who wants that? On the other side: a Mexican family left behind, a rancho, ancestors, religion, memorias.

We latinos are the memory made flesh that this country wants to forget. The tragic past and the inevitable future at the same time. The leaders of this country are afraid of both. I'm marching on Monday because it's what my mother, Marina Hernandez Renaud, now passed, would have done. She's the one who taught me Spanish, told me stories about her Mexico every single day, and most of all, showed me, from the way she cooked her beans to the way she shared her food to the braceros working in the fields where my father was a foreman - what it means to be mexicana.

Despite all the overt, subtle, and sophisticated discrimination I've experienced in my life, my mother, all five feet of her, would stand up straight and tall while she was making tortillas, listening to Selena or her favorite conjunto, while I told her stories about my own struggles, and she would say:

They are afraid of us. Are you?


MARCH for
IMMIGRANT RIGHTS

monday april 10 2006
5:oo pm Start at Milam Park
(in front of Santa Rosa Hospital @ Santa Rosa St & Commerce)
March to Federal Building
(E. Durango street) where we continue with a rally

Stop H.R. 4437, a dangerous bill that criminalizes immigrants.
For information: esperanza peace & justice center: 210.228.0201 ·
fuerza unida: 210.927.2294 · www.myspace.com/sanantomexa

Supported by:
ACLU · ACORN · AFSCME ·
Benedictine Sisters · Council
on American-Islamic
Relations (CAIR) · Catholic
Charities · Centro Cultural
Aztlán · César Chávez
March for Justice · Club de
Estados de Mexico · Comité
en Solidaridad con el Pueblo
de México · Coordinadores
96/2000 · Esperanza Peace
and Justice Center · Food
Not Bombs · Fuerza Unida ·
G.I. Forum · Green Party ·
Inner City Advocates · IUE ·
LCLAA · LULAC · MALDEF ·
Mestizos en Marcha ·
MEXA San Anto · Mexican
American Cultural Center ·
Missionary Catechists of
Divine Providence
Congregation · Mujeres
Activas en Letras y Cambio
Social (MALCS) · NAACP,
San Antonio · NAPE ·
National Council of La Raza
· Neighborhoods First
Alliance · NLAC · Pax Christi
· P.I.T.C.H. I.N. (Fox Tech
H.S.) · p e a c e C E N T E R
· Progressive Students
Organization · RAICES · San
Anto Cultural Arts ·
Santuario Sisterfarm · SEIU ·
Siempre United · Soulforce
San Antonio · Southwest
Voter Registration &
Education Project ·
Stonewall Democrats ·
Southwest Workers' Union ·
Texas Fair Trade Coalition ·
Texas Media Empowerment
Project · United Students
Against Sweatshops · United
Students for Fair Trade ·
University Leadership
Initiative · William C.
Velásquez Institute · The
World Can't Wait - Drive out
The Bush Regime!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huipiles at the Museo Alameda: There is nothing to celebrate

So some young latinas asked me yesterday about the "Huipiles" at the Museo Alameda. They were confused about the Exhibit. The photo below is by a commercial artist, Liz Garza Williams, one of the artists in the Huipiles Exhibit, and this is her photo of the featured artist, Kathy Sosa, wife of Republican party advertising-mogul Lionel Sosa, who is also in the show. You know what this visual says to young latinas, who comprise the majority population in this region? This photo, indicative of the quality and imagery in this Huipiles exhibit, says "See how I own your past? Do you see how beautiful I am wearing what you don't even know about? You can't even afford your own history, because only a rich woman like me is good enough and beautiful enough to wear it." Now the Museo Alameda has asked latina scholars to contribute to "panels," to discuss "huipiles." There is a documentary that accompanies the show where some huipil-dres...
Today is Tuesday, May 3rd, and so much has happened.  A brain tumor.  More yoga and walking.  A little less combat.  Weight dropping.  Spirit rising.  Back in the city, where I belong.  Looking for good photos to give you, organizing my crazy files.  And a new President!  So much to say, more than beating up on him -- that will only take us so far.  Time to hit the streets, challenge the fears that he represents.  Don't be afraid, no tengan miedo.  If I survived a massive brain tumor -- big as a grapefruit -- we can survive and transcend this. More tomorrow.  One day a week from now on. 

Can I get a VIA Bus after my cerveza?

Okay, so today I met with Juan Lopez, who, like me, rides the VIA bus. If you live in the city, the bus is pretty good if you're going north/south.  It's the crosstown buses and the 551 Looper that drives me crazy.  I wish they were more colorful, like in Mexico, and that the drivers were allowed to play their music!  This Calvinist heritage!  But I love the bus.  Babies, tattoos, the elderly, ride the bus. Humanity.   For reals. Today, Juan said something really profound. "If the city is so concerned about DWIs (Los borrachos, he means), then why doesn't VIA offer 24-hour service during Fiesta?" Are you listening, VIA? I know you offer special service for the basketball games, the Rodeo, And God knows what else... Or is the City wanting the fines from the DWIs or maybe just wants to put more borrachos in jail? http://www.viasmartmove.com